General guidelines for adults aged 18-64 include:
- Perform 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, or 75 minutes per week of vigorous-intensity exercise, or a combination of both.
- Additional health benefits are obtained from performing greater amounts of activity than those quantities
- Perform aerobic bouts that last at least 10 minutes, preferably spread throughout the week
- Participate in muscle-strengthening activities involving all major muscle groups at least two-day a week
Specific guidelines for children and adolescents aged 6 to 17 include the following:
- Perform at least 60 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity every day.
- Include vigorous-intensity activity a minimum of three days per week
- Participate in muscle-strengthening and bone-strengthening activity a minimum of three days per week